Who is this Jamin guy anyway?
I am the husband of one and the father of nine. I was created to sing, to worship, to encourage, and to be steady. I am the Owner & Executive Director of Trinity Arts Center, a multi-disciplinary Arts Center in Eastern Tennessee, and the President of Trinity Arts Foundation, a 501(c)(3) organization focused on funding arts education and performance. I've been involved with four music projects in my life -- Hot Pink Turtle, Spin Radio, Stand Like Stone, and of course, Jamin Rathbun.

In 2013, I added my Twitter feed to this site (below). To view the old content, just scroll down past the Twitter timeline. To keep in the loop on new posts, thoughts, and updates, just follow me on Twitter using the button below. Thanks!

Tweets by @jaminrathbun

box_bible bible

Romans 12:1-2
Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God -- this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is -- his good, pleasing, and perfect will.

What is a living sacrifice? How about this definition... "A constant state of adoration and thankfulness that guides our thoughts and actions." How about something in the spirit of Romans 6:13-14, which asks us to "offer ourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life."

The first thing I picture in my mind, after reading that passage, is a person being lifted out of a raging ocean, coughing and sputtering and near drowning, onto the safety of a rescue vessel. How would I respond if I were the one being saved? I think I'd be pretty grateful. I'm sure I'd be slightly stunned for a few moments but, once it sank in, I'd be looking for ways to thank the one who saved me. I'd have my kids draw cards for them. I'd send flowers and gift certificates. I might send their family on an all-expenses paid vacation. And beyond those things... I'd be willing to respond to just about any request they made of me. Day or night. Rain or shine. I'd be there.

What can we do to get to the place where we respond to God in this way? First, let me say this...

I don't think we can respond to God until he has called us to Him. After all, a response, requires an existing statement, question, or call to respond to. In fact, I think our first response to God's call, and our first act of worship, is an act of repentance, once we recognize our sin, and accept the hope and eternal life that Christ offers.

I think we have (at least I have) a tendency to simplify worship into a music-only activity. We (again I) have a desire to create, essentially, a formula to worship that we can reproduce at will. As a worship leader, this includes a certain flow of music, teaching, Scripture, and prayer -- tied together with smooth lyrical and musical transitions -- that attempt to lead participants to a place of personal connection to God. Worship, through music, is an awesome experience and I'm thrilled to be able to participate. However, there is a lot more to worship than just music. In fact, worship is more about a lifestyle than it is about a specific act.

Worship is personal. It is your response to God's saving grace, after having rescued you from certain death. It is your offering to Him as "the least you can do", in light of what He has done.

Worship is...
  1. Prayer. You can't do what God wants if you don't talk to Him, know Him, and understand what He wants for you.

  2. Bible Study. 95% of what God desires is true for everyone and it's found here. The other 5% comes from #'s 1 & 3.

  3. Obedience. When the Spirit reminds you to do what's right -- be obedient. When the Spirit teaches you -- be available. When you don't know what to say -- just use the words you have (or just be quiet) and let the Spirit work it out.
Respond to God. First, with repentance and then -- however He, His Word, and His Spirit guide you to. God is good!

box_stuff stuff

Top 50 Most Influential Churches.
The Church Report web site has assembled a list of the top 50 most influential churches in America. Definitely some interesting information here. Worth a peek.

© 2006-2010 Jamin Rathbun & Superdink.com. All rights reserved.
Have something to say?


Recommended Music:

David Crowder Band
A Collision
Can You Hear Us

Chris Tomlin
See The Morning
Live From Austin
The Noise We Make
Not To Us

Matt Redman
The Heart of Worship
Where Angels Fear...

Charlie Hall
Flying Into Daybreak

Bethany Dillon

Beauty In The Broken

Brenton Brown
Everlasting God

Ross Parsley
I Am Free

Matt Maher
The End & The Beginning
Welcome To Life

Jars Of Clay
Redemption Songs